Popular Posts

Monday, February 21, 2011

My great-grandfather: A Cuban Immigrant



My great grandfather was Marcos Colon Perez, a Cuban immigrant. He was born in Cuba and immigrated to Puerto Rico when he was still a child. He  along with his family came to Puerto Rico after Fidel Castro took control of Cuba. His family had sugar mills back in Cuba, they were one of the most wealthy families of Cuba but their plantations were taken away by Fidel Castro himself, as their situation worsen they became desperate and found no other option than immigrating to Puerto Rico. 


They could have never made a better decision than moving here. When they moved to Puerto Rico and established in Guayama they became successful easily. My great grandfather is one of the most well-known carpenter in Guayama's history. He even helped on the construction of what is today known as "La Casa CautiƱo".  


I didn't know that I had immigrant heritage. I was very shocked because I consider immigrants as heroes and who would say that I was so close to one. His family was very courageous and successful and that really fills me with a lot of mixed emotions. I feel proud, excited and happy, because if they never had the guts to move here, maybe I would be living in Cuba, having a miserable life . I never got to meet my great grandfather, but I feel very proud of him. From now on he is one of my heroes!
(Now I realize why my father is so penny-pinching, because as you may know Cuban are really stingy, ha ha!)

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing when you learn more about yourself through learning about your family's history? I'm really glad you shared this with us, Alysha!

    ReplyDelete